We were hooked immediately by Sydney band Noire's debut single Just Like Honey. It's one of those songs that is strong enough to make you immediately commit to a band with such little output. Our commitment was justified with the release of their second track Baby Blue last week. It's a beautiful, rich, textured cut that just oozes into you on first listen. The vocals of Jessica Mincher seemingly let out smoke with each breath as she weaves herself around these raw, intimate arrangements. There is so much great music coming out of this country right now but this pocket of organic, alternative rock has really been left unexplored since the electronic scene blew-up. That's why Noire is so important right now.
The band is preparing to release their debut EP Baby Blue on 18th September and it was recorded with Wayne Connolly who's previously worked with bands like Silverchair and The Vines. They will also take their tunes to the live show in September with a few shows that you can check out the details for below.
They have just returned from a massive trip of the US that saw them travel over 11,000kms and play shows in Nashville, Austin and New York City. As a way to get to know the three-piece we got them to put together their quintessential road trip playlist inspired by their recent overseas travels.
1. America - Horse With No Name: It's a classic, those la la harmonies, magic!
2. Tame Impala - Yes I'm Changing: It's a magnificent journey though a stormy afternoon into rolling green hills on a picturesque 9pm Summer sunset. It's my favourite track from Currents.
3. John Lennon - Watching The Wheels: A little care free, some self refection and politics, lots of love for John.
4. Lana Del Rey - West Coast: The drums and guitars are so intoxicating from the uplifting verse to the slow dance tragic chorus feel. Fits Lana's vocals perfectly.
5. The Drifters - Stand Bye Me: There is always a few trials and tribulations on a road trip, this is a classic tune to get the love back. The opening bass and obscure beat is so catchy, really gets you in a groove straight from the word go.
6. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black: She is amazing!
7. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on a Bayou: Sounds like the deep south, we listened to this a lot driving through the swap country in Louisiana.
8. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower: This track has so much energy and those Hendrix licks are just about the best thing I've heard.
9. Nina Simone - Feeling Good: So much power, she owns this song.
10. The Doors - Roadhouse Blues: What's a road trip without The Doors?
Noire September Tour Dates
Thursday, September 3rd
Marlborough Hotel – Newtown, Sydney
Sunday, September 6TH
King St Crawl w/ The Lulu Raes, Hight-Tails, Day Ravies, Burn Antares, Polish Club & These New South Whales
Waywards – Newtown, Sydney
Saturday, September 26th
Surry Hills Festival – Surry Hills, Sydney