Tame Impala frontman, Kevin Parker, just completed an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on notorious entertainment, social networking and sharing site (and home of celebrity nude pic-leaking), Reddit. In order to save you from the formidable task of foraging through the confusingly text-heavy site, we did all the dirty work for you.
Prefacing the AMA with an apology in advance for his slow WPM typing ability, and later explaining that his computer was battling a virus, Parker ensured Redditors were prepared for the lengthy waits they'd endure between answers. They used this time to overwhelm Parker with more questions and to (probably) further contemplate the true meaning behind the infamous Reddit Button.
A couple of questions in, and once the virus-ridden computer was ditched, Parker got into the swing of things and provided some enlightening answers to his biggest fans over the course of over three hours. We've compiled a list of 21 of the most interesting things we learnt from the 2,000+ questions-strong AMA. Results below:
EDIT: He also debuted a brand new track, Disciples. Listen here.
1. Danny DeVito once watched Tame Impala from side of stage.
We like to think it went a lil' something like this:
2. Not even major labels know the secret to making it in the music industry.
But it's not all bad news. With that, Parker says, comes "no rules and so many possibilities."
3. Playing gigs makes Kevin Parker feel like The Sex Pistols & U2.
I'm sure not many people would complain about Tame Impala's upcoming record, Currents, magically appearing in their iTunes.
4. If given the choice, Kevin Parker would remake Desire Be Desire Go to be more of a feel good hit of the summer.
5. You don't have to know hardcore music theory to be Kevin Parker.
Theoretically, of course.
6. Kanye West, Tyler, The Creator & Caribou are some of Parker's influences.
7. Frank Ocean also inspires him, but in a different way. 😉
8. Fame has made him feel a cross between more confident and more self critical.
9. He really, really loves scarves.
Like we already didn't know that...
10. Maybe he's born with it.
Or maybe it's Head and Shoulders?
11. He's not a record kinda guy.
12. 90% of their songs result from sudden brain spasms of musical emotion.
If you experience brain spasms that aren't followed by musical emotion, please consult your doctor.
13. Tame Impala are a pop band.
14. We can expect a lot of variation on the upcoming record, Currents.
15. Music doesn't need a monetary value.
16. Up until recently, Tame Impala received zero dollars from record sales outside of Australia.
Parker gave an interesting insight into the music industry and how much money really goes to the artist.
17. Feels Like We Only Go Backwards was the easiest to write & Runway, Houses, City, Clouds almost didn't make the album (Innerspeaker).
When asked, "What song do you believe to be your best?", Kevin responded:
18. You have to trade in the mystery of something for the ability to recreate it.
19. Tame Impala have inspired many.
20. And Kevin Parker is totally gracious about it.
21. He might make a surprise guest appearance at Mark Ronson's Splendour in the Grass sideshows.
Don't believe me? Just watch:
And now, a dedication to the fallen questions left unanswered. Vale.
You can catch Tame Impala at Splendour in the Grass this July. Tickets are sold out but keep your eyes open for the resale.